17 December 2003

Season of White

Last year, I decided to visit Hong Kong. I visited Hong Kong the summer before the hand over to China and I figured it was time to go back and check things out. I was very pleased to see that the communist regime has not suffocated the fashion sense of Hong Kong citizens.

While I was there I found a one of a kind cream coloured coat. At the time I felt it was an extravagance, out of date and very Jackie Kennedy. I bought it anyway. Then earlier this year, I saw a pair of white pants on sale and thought, who the heck would wear white pants other than little old ladies and nurses. I bought them anyway. Then I was browsing around in a department store and found a fluffy scarf in a sort of muted white. Same thought again, what respectable business person would wear a fluffly scarf that should be use to make a child's toy. I bought it anyway.

Now, there's snow and frost on the ground and all the shop and store displays are showing off cream and muted white tones in their fashion trends. Many manequinns were dress in off-white pants, cream over-coats and get this fluffly snowy-white scarves. So, my buy-on-a-whim turned out into quite a trend this Season of White. So, the next time you see something on sale you're not sure is in season, buy it anyway, it will one day be in style.